calendar
search
love middlesbrough logo love middlesbrough logo love middlesbrough logo love middlesbrough logo love middlesbrough logo
 

 

Apr 26

Bingo, Pie and Peas

12:30pm

Bingo, Pie and Peas at Grove Hill Community Hub!

close
picture of  Middlesbrough Dock Clock Tower

Middlesbrough Dock Clock Tower

Water tower and clock tower

  • Middlesbrough Dock Street Middlehaven TS2 1PR

Facilities

  • Location
    • Near to Riverside Stadium

Directions

Plan your journey

Connect Tees Valley

An original clock tower was built by architect John Middleton in 1847. It was a landmark for approaching ships and just beneath the clockfaces there was a little balcony for a look-out.

Although the tower had four sides, there were only three clockfaces. The clock was paid for by public subscription. Either an ironworks or a shipyard refused to contribute because it didn't want its workers clockwatching.

During a rebuild of Middlesbrough's dock either around 1870 or as late as 1903 this replacement was built. The tower doubled as a clocktower and a watertower to provide the hydraulic power to operate the dock gates and cranes. This dual use led to its shape: a bulky bottom to house the water, and a slender top for the clock.

The tower was restored in 2005 as part of the Middlehaven development.